Re: What to do if the upstream keeps debian directory in original tarball?

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 13:23, Russ Allbery wrote:

> What I would do if I were you would be to make the changes you need to
> make to the upstream debian directory to have the package work the way
> that it should and send the diffs back to upstream as a courtesy, but not
> wait for a new upstream release with those changes before uploading.  When
> there's a new upstream release, you can then resynchronize, make whatever
> changes are still needed, and upload a new package.

My mentors taught me that a Debian package should be build from the pristine
upstream source downloaded from official website. In this case it wouldn't
work because the Debian .diff.gz applies to a version of upstream source
before it is officially released.

> I don't think removing an upstream debian directory is sufficient reason
> to repackage the upstream source.  You can do the packaging as diffs
> against the upstream debian directory just as easily.  Heck, if what
> upstream ships there is too annoying, you can always just blow away the
> debian directory in your working copy, create your own packaging, and let
> diff figure out the transform (although be careful of upstream files that
> you need to delete in your version).

But I end up repackaging the upstream source anyway. The .orig.tar.gz is not
the same file that Thierry puts on his website. Plus, I usually look at
the .diff.gz file to check the quality of a package. With xdialog it's hard
to do because there always is garbage from the old version of debian
directory in the diff.gz.

Regards,
Stan