Re: rpath from `avifile-config --libs`

Simo Kauppi wrote:

> While packaging swftools, I noticed that `avifile-config --libs` gives
> -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -laviplay. lintian/linda obviously are not happy
> with rpath.
>
> I can work around that, but I thought I ask if that should be
> considered a bug in the libavifile-0.7-dev package.

I think it's considered a bug, although AFAIK Policy doesn't explicitly
forbid rpath.  Junichi Uekawa writes "To remove -rpath in the upstream
level, it is usually non-invasive to request upstream to special-case
/usr/lib, to not add -rpath.":
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html

If avifile-config is a shell script (I haven't checked), it shouldn't be
too hard to submit a patch for that.

> And while I'm at it, what would be the best way around if
> `something-config --libs` gives rpath?

`something-config --libs | sed 's/-Wl,-rpath,[^[:space:]]*//g'` would be
the first thing I tried.

regards,