Where do fonts go?

I maintain a package, aplus-fsf, that includes fonts in PCF format in order to
display its APL characters in XEmacs and xterms.  I put these in a separate
package called xfonts-kapl, which installs the fonts in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc and also creates a file in /etc/X11/fonts.  The
postinst calls update-fonts-dir and update-fonts-alias.  This package is in
the Recommends field of the other packages. This works fine.

There is related HTML documentation for aplus-fsf in a separate package,
aplus-fsf-doc, that also requires a special font (in TTF format) to display
the APL characters properly in web browsers.  I found that installing these
fonts in /usr/share/fonts and running fc-cache makes these available in
Firefox, but I am not sure that is the right thing to do.

What distinguishes which fonts go in /usr/lib/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts and which go
in /usr/share/fonts?  Should the fonts for both purposes above go into the
xfonts-kapl package, or should the TTF fonts for the the aplus-fsf-doc package
go into the aplus-fsf-doc package, or should they go into a new, separate
package which is then named in the Recommends field of aplus-fsf-doc?

--
Neil Roeth