RE: RFS: directnet -- A serverless, mesh network instant messaging client

Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Tue, January 3, 2006 09:47, Gregor Richards wrote:
> > I updated the package to 1.0.0.  The version compare algorithm doesn't
> > like it ... it thinks that 1.0.0 is less than 1.0.0rc5 ... but that's not
> > how release candidates work :)
>
> That's indeed a caveat on the Debian version compare algorithm. When
> you're packaging a release candidate, you normally should watch out for
> adding 'rcN' to the version to avoid being able to update it to the real
> version later.
>
> What's done commonly is something like this: 0.9.9+1.0.0rc5, or for a
> higher version: 2.4.3+2.4.4rc1.

I believe this practice has been obsolete since the release of sarge.
dpkg now considers "~" to sort before anything, even a null string, so
you can use e.g. "1.0.0~rc5".

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.