Re: Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, skaller wrote:
> > These things take time.
>
> Indeed. However change must start with awareness.

We're quite aware of our limitations, but we can't make miracles.
There's a lot to do and this thread proves that some people are willing to
make things change for people like you.

Had you taken the time to read the proposal which started this thread,
you'd have discovered that it's very close to what you're vaguely
proposing.

We don't need more critics, we need :
- good ideas to improve our tools and processes
- time & people to code the new infrastructure (or the changes to the
  infrastructure)

> Surely, but first there must be an idea of what the problems are
> and what could be done. And in my opinion the DD's have far too
> much 'paper work' to do, and their talents are not well deployed.

Becoming "DD" implies some "paper work". But once someone is DD, there's
no paper work any more ... but you keep speaking about this "paper work
problem". So tell me what this prolem is ...

> in the process -- the need to upload packages just to trigger
> the autobuilder into rebuilding .. even when the sources have
> not changed (tool change). I'm watching them do a whole lot of

This problem has been adressed already, binary only NMU can be triggered
by the release team.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog