Re: Opinions on CDBS amongst sponsors

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:58:27AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> > How does this compare with other helper scripts like debuild and
> > pdebuild?

> Those aren't used as part of the package build process; they're wrappers
> around it that one doesn't have to use even if the maintainer does.  I
> think you mean debhelper.  debhelper, unlike CDBS, has actual
> documentation: every command has a man page, and every command does what
> the man page says it does.

The other thing with these other tools is that they tend to do a single,
linear task without a great deal of policy or other decision making that
affects the built package.  It shouldn't make much diference if they are
used or not.  CDBS, on the other hand, has a very substantial effect on
the built package.