Re: debianizing directories?

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 16:35 -0500, Kit Peters wrote:
> The boxen out in the field run apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade
> once a night.

I don't know much about anything, but I do know this is dangerous.
dist-upgrade removes packages as necessary. Sometimes, due to the
archive being partially updated, packages can be removed when that's not
what you wanted.

Now, if you only use a local repository and you ensure this isn't going
to be the case, you're fine.

Personally, I have my machines run apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade in test mode. That'll show me all the changes that are
necessary. I then SSH to the machine in the morning and apply the
updates myself.

Richard