Re: Linking with --as-needed in Debian Packages (Was: Re: RFS: flamerobin (updated package))

Richard Laager wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 14:31 +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>>    * Added --as-needed to LDFLAGS to avoid unnecessary NEEDED entries.
>>      Thanks to Christian 'Greek0' Aichinger.
>
> Is the use of --as-needed encouraged/discouraged in Debian? Is there a
> reason this isn't used system-wide? (I'm aware some packages have
> issues, but those can and should be addressed individually.)

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/11/msg00016.html

In short:
- First try the relibtoolize approach.
- Avoid custom *-config tools.
- If your package uses pkg-config, and you get unnecessary dependencies,
    check the used *.pc files if they have to be fixed (using
Requires.private/Libs.private) and notify the maintainer of the
corresponding lib.
- If everything else fails, use --as-needed.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?