Re: [RFS]: jsMath:TeX equations in HTML documents

Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:

> Packages are lintian/linda clean. Worries might be due to use of
> debconf in jsmath to configure web servers. gallery's scripts were used
> as a start point. I might in future disable botton in jsMath menu to
> look for updates (although it can't hurt so people could buzz me to run
> uscan ;-))
>
> Thanks everyone in advance for looking at.

Some comments:

debian/copyright: I think that a binary deb package is a derivative of
                   both the upstream source and the Debian packaging.
                   According to
                   http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html,
                   upstream's Apache license (v.2.0) and your GPL for
                   the packaging are incompatible.

maintainer scripts:

- it's inconsistent to name them jsmath.config but postinst and postrm
  without the package name prepended

- What's the purpose of this in config:

db_version 2.0 || [ 0 -lt 30 ]

  This looks just like || true, and debconf-devel(7) suggests you never
  need this command...

- the config script should try to detect which servers are actually
  installed, to make sure the user does not select exactly the one
  that's *not* installed.  Might be tricky to implement, though.

- the second debconf question is asked with higher priority than the
  first (why?), but the text is written with the assumption that the
  user has already seen the first question.  This should be changed...

- the postinst is probably RC buggy, see policy 10.7.4: "The maintainer
  scripts must not alter a conffile of any package, including the one
  the scripts belong to."  At least /etc/apache2/httpd.conf doesn't seem
  to be a conffile, but I think this mostly applies to configuration
  files, too.

  Moreover, I doubt that this works at all, and I think there are better
  mechanisms to interact with webserver packages than that.  You write
  you've taken the code from gallery, but that doesn't mean that it is
  good.

  If I'm talking rubbish here, this is because I don't have much
  experience with web servers - but I don't think it's complete
  rubbish.

debian/rules:

- why do you call dh_strip and dh_link?

So much for this package, Frank