Does a DD become solely responsible for abandonware in Debian?

After some email lobbying and many months of waiting, more than may
seem evident from the atttached email exchange below, I have managed
to convince the authors of LiDIA

     http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/LiDIA/

to finally release their code under the GPL. Woohoo!

It's an excellent number theory package that a mere four years ago
used to have the cutting edge algorithms for elliptic curves (hello,
Fermat's Last Theorem!). Indeed, the reason that it wasn't GPLed
earlier is that its authors had hoped to make its algorithms
proprietary, but for better or for worse have since lost interest in
this endeavour.

In fact, hardly any (none?) of the original contributors and coders of
LiDIA are working on it anymore. I was nagging its sole "maintainer"
about getting the code GPLed so that it could go into Debian (and
hence, hopefully eventually into Ubuntu) in order to give LiDIA a
wider audience and hopefully attract some attention and maintainers.

My questions are these: is this a good idea? Is it a good idea to try
to Debianise a package with no real upstream authors? If I did that,
would I or my sponsor become responsible for maintenance?

Thank you, mentors,
- Jordi G. H.