Re: preinst: ( "configure" && [ -n "$2" ] ) or ( "configure" && [ -z "$2" ] ) ?

This one time, at band camp, shaulka@012.net.il said:
>   Regarding the following part of a preinst maintainer script:
>

> 1)    case "$1" in
> 2)        configure)
> 3)        if [ -n "$2" ]; then
> 4)                mkdir -p dir/subDir
> 5)                # First time install. Can we autodetect the old settings?
> 6)                test for the old settings
>

>   Am I right that the comment partially means the programmer assures us that at
> this point it is a first time install?
>   At the 3rd line there is a test for [ -n "$2" ]. By looking at section 6.5 of policy
> I would say that for being assured this is a first time install the correct test
> should have been [ -z "$2" ]. Am I right?

You are correct.  However the "test for old settings" shortly after that
makes no sense given that this is uspposed to be a new install.  I am
hazarding a guess that the comment and/or the code is wring somewhere.

Good luck,