Depending on an essential package

Hi everybody,

if I add a dependency on util-linux because I need that /sbin/getty is
installed, why must this dependency be versioned?
If I simply add Depends: util-linux lintian complains loudly and issues
an error message:
depends-on-essential-package-without-using-version depends: util-linux

I could of course pick a random version number to make lintian happy, I
simply don't know which explicit version I should choose otherwise. As
said, the only requirement I have is that /sbin/getty is installed.

Should I simply ignore the lintian error?

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?