Re: my projects for debian ? - Answer to Tony

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:33:43PM +0200, acid0@web.de wrote:
> > How does pag compare to pwgen (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pwgen/)?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > tony
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> yes, i tested pwgen in thought the same. Pwgen has no option to create a
> password list and you cant set the length of the password(s). My program

Uhm...

$ pwgen -h 2>&1 |head -1
Usage: pwgen [ OPTIONS ] [ pw_length ] [ num_pw ]

$ pwgen -1 10 10
dieN0iyuab
eetaDu9oeW
eeThoush6f
raec1Iel4u
bu3ug7eeLo
shaiL3uD0I
eiP3Theeb9
phoeN8waRe
Ied6oVuito
aiShih4aek

> I cant even move the output from pwgen to a file with a pipe,

$ pwgen -1 10 10 >/tmp/foo
$ cat /tmp/foo
izaiteidet
queibohghu
ahpoxiewoo
hedimaibap
goonaeveek
lunoufaiso
ootuusogha
heacheilee
ufiepeoloh
ponuisaiqu

> Like said, my project has more options, you can set everything and it can
> also generate a password file with x passwords , so how many passwords you
> want.

I've just had a look at your code, and I can safely say that pwgen has a lot
more options, and is significantly more flexible.  You have to recompile
your program to change the output file or increase the maximum size of the
password beyond 15 characters, you have to answer a bunch of questions
interactively to get a password, and there's no pronounceability or security
options.  To top it all off, you're using scanf throughout your code to
retrieve input from the user, and you've got global variables named x, y, z,
m, n, and max.

Suffice it to say, I don't think your program adds much to the feature set
already provided by pwgen.

- Matt