Re: binNMU safe and ${binary:Version} or ${source:Version}

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 03:56:01PM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:

> I currently try to understand, what I need to do to make my packages
> binNMU-safe (I package several libraries). For a package I want to put
> into Debian soon, I'm now trying to make it binNMU-safe. But what's
> behind this? I tried to find documentation that explains the phrase (I
> understand, wthat an binNMU is, but not, what binNMU exactly means for a
> package). But I didn't find anything. I e.g. saw the bug-report against
> xchat. But I don't understand, when I should use ${binary:Version}
> (gnome-vfs2) or ${source:Version} (suggested in the bug-report). So
> where can I find documentation about this?

In a binNMU, the arch: any packages are rebuilt, the arch: all packages are
not.

So if you want to declare a strict versioned dependency between two arch:
any packages in the same source, you would use ${binary:Version}.

If you want to declare a strict versioned dependency from an arch: any
package to an arch: all package in the same source, you would use
${source:Version}.

If you want to declare a strict versioned dependency from an arch: all
package to an arch: any package... don't do that, because it will break
under binNMUs. :)

The documentation for this probably belongs in debian-policy; current
versions of policy seem to mention Source-Version, though, not the new
substvars, and I'm not sure if anyone has submitted a patch for this?