Re: RFH: python-support and arch dependant file

On (09/09/06 05:44), Adam Cecile wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 01:26:18 +0100, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:
> > Ok, so the trick is to modify the SConscripts of the relevant packages
> > to build for more than just the default python version.
> >
> > Tha attached patch does this. You might wat to think about using
> > pyversions -s -v to make the patch handle new versions as well.
> >
> > James
>
> A friend told me the file must be python's version independent, what do you think about it ?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

If you mean the .so then I don't see how this can be correct, it has to
be built for a certain version of python.

If you mean the .py files then you are probably correct, they should
only need to be built for one version. This seems to be a limitation of
python-support, that it picked up some of the files as being version
dependent.

If you mean the SConscript then I don't see a way around it. If you want
to support multiple versions of python then you need to build the .so
for each version, that is why you posted the problem in the first place
is it not?

The SConscript will run on multiple versions of python, so it doesn't
matter what the default is. It will build for all supported versions (at
the moment).

Please explain what you mean by version independent here.

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256