Re: shlib-with-non-pic-code

Christian Aichinger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 06:44:28PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Seems to be a tougher problem than I initially thought. The package
>> builds fine here when run from my normal user account but I confirm that
>> it fails inside the pbuilder chroot.
>> The problem is that uic behaves somewhat strange when run inside the
>> chroot and I'll have to find out first, how to fix this.
>
> I'd look for missing build dependencies first, as this is an usual
> cause for such problems. However your build-log doesn't show
> anything in this direction :-/
>
> Another point could be different versions of your build-deps in and
> outside of the chroot.
>
> If nothing else helps I'd try an strace (using
> `strace -o log.strace -ff`) of the failing gcc call both inside and
> outside and look for suspicious differences. Yes.. I know it sucks.
>

> Sorry if I just told you about things you'd have done anyway ;)

With the help of the kde-devel m-l and some hints from upstream I was
able to fix both issues.
uic reads ~/.qt/qtrc (which does not exist in a clean chroot obviously),
where it looks for library include paths, otherwise you have to pass -L
/usr/lib/kde3/plugins/designer as argument to uic (This is what I do
now). The problem about non-PIC code was solved by backporting fixes in
the build system from current SVN.

Nevertheless I wanted to say thanks for your offered help and time.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?