Re: n00b lib packaging question

Am Dienstag, den 29.08.2006, 12:44 -0400 schrieb Jean-Sebastien Pilon:

> I am trying to create packages from sources for libpcap compiled with
> the libpfring library. This compiles no problem. When I am packaging
> though... there are the issues coming up Wink
>
> # fakeroot debian/rules clean
> # debian/rules build
> # debian/rules binary
> till now it's ok
>
> i have 2 .debs which contains only the documentation...
>
> so edited debian/rules and uncommented dh_install Wink
>
> after another complete run, still nothing else than the docs in the
> packages...
>

> # ls debian/
> changelog compat control copyright dirs docs libpcap-ring1.dirs
> libpcap-ring1.install libpcap-ring-dev.dirs libpcap-ring-dev.install
> rules
[snip]
> 3 new folders... tmp libpcap-ring1 libpcap-ring-dev
[..]
> i guess debian/binary is looking in those 2 directories since it wants
> to create 2 packages

In compat level 4, the files to package are expected in debian/$package.

> am i right? does it make sense? hehe
>
> how can i fix this ?

What's inside libpcap-ring1.install and libpcap-ring-dev.install? You
need to "copy" the files from debian/tmp to debian/$package to split the
files into separate packages. Normally I would expect at least

debian/tmp/usr/lib/*.so.* usr/lib

for the library- and

debian/tmp/usr/lib/*.la usr/lib
debian/tmp/usr/lib/*.so usr/lib

for the dev-package. See
also /usr/share/debhelper/dh_make/debianl/*.install.

Regards, Daniel