When to close a bug tagged 'will not fix'?

Hello Mentors,

I have a bug that I have tagged "will not fix" and I CC'ed the original submitter with the explanation of why it won't be fixed, however the CC to the original submitter bounced, with a message saying that the user does not exist.

It's my understanding that Debian prefers that the submitter close off a bug after it is marked will not fix, but in this case I doubt that the submitter will ever find out that the status on the bug has changed. So my question is: Given this situation should I, as the maintainer, be closing this bug? and how long should I wait before doing so?

Thanks,

James