Re: RFS: qrfcview -- viewer for IETF RFCs

Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:

> Frederic Lehobey wrote:
>> * License         : GPL
>> doc-rfc: if you have installed this package (in non-free) you might
>> want to take advantage of the locally installed RFCs.
>
> Could you explain that bit about non-free ?

Most RFCs do not allow modifications and are therefore non-free.

> Is this a rewrite under a new licence?

A rewrite of what?

> Is there non-free data required? (-> contrib, not main).
>
> Is there something about your package that means it's only usable with
> non-free packages?

I think there are a couple of free RFCs in Debian (and consequently on
the IETF website), so I think it will be usable with free data, too.
And anyway, even if nobody had already licensed any document in
Microsoft Word format under a DFSG-free license, a viewers for *doc
could still go to main.  We won't package non-free data, but it's
perfectly acceptable to use free software to handle non-free data.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)