Re: pbuilder on sarge

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 12:31:34PM -0700, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> Michael Stevens <mstevens@etla.org> wrote:
> > How do I setup pbuilder to manage this? when I try to just do
> > 'pbuilder create', it gives the error:

> > E: Couldn't download slang1a-utf8
> > pbuilder: debootstrap failed

> > I've got it working using '--distribution sarge', which is nice for
> > checking the builds-from-source part, but still no help getting things
> > working with sid. Or do I need to actually install a machine with sid?

> 	I have found that it is easier to have machines running each distro
> you want to build against, but it shouldn't be neccessary. Try a
> "--distribution etch" though; something that builds under etch should still
> run under sid.

The debootstrap package from sarge isn't capable of bootstrapping a current
sid *or* etch environment due to changes to lib names made after the sarge
release.  This should be fixed so that the etch debootstrap will be capable
of installing an etch+1 chroot regardless of lib changes, but for now you
need to install the etch debootstrap on your sarge machine to be able to
correctly bootstrap an etch or sid chroot.

And no, you should *not* build against an etch chroot if the intent is to
upload to unstable.