Re: 1 source, 2 binaries, 2 CFLAGS and cdbs

On 6/25/06, Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:
Eddy Petrişor wrote:
> On 6/25/06, Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:
>> All this is quite a lot of automake patching and if you can get upstream
>> onside it will be a lot easier.
> Running autotools in debian/rules

? I didn't say to do that. Patching the Makefiles used by autotools
before cdbs runs was my point.

Err, yes, my bad, indeed, you did not say that.

> will bring you in a huge mess[1].
> Please DO NOT do that.

OK, so maybe that method requires at least some upstream assistance -
but I wasn't actually advocating running autotools in debian/rules. My
point is that by tweaking the Makefiles and associated build scripts
with patches, there would be no need for changes in debian/rules at all.

I sincerely doubt any sane upstream would incorporate changes to make
their source compile in two different configurations of the same
software just to please Debian.

autotools are run (once) via the normal cdbs processes as before, but

Err, didn't you say that you were not advocating running autotools
from debian/rules? Or am I missing something?

Autotools should NOT be ran at build time, but statically by the
maintainer/upstream. The rules file should only run configure.

the instructions passed to the various autotools now include patches
that allow the build to create both binaries from one source, with
different CFLAGS (or any other setting) in a single pass by cdbs.

As I said, I doubt any sane upstream would incorporate rules to build
their software configured differently just to please Debian. I, for
one, would not welcome our new autotools-fiddling-for-debian changes
:-) .