Re: How can I help Debian best?

Hello Bas,

thank you very much for your kind and informative reply.

> I think Debian can be a benefit for the free software community by being as
> complete as possible (in terms of free software)

That is a very good point I didn't consider so far when reading the
Social Contract; I will have to rethink about it once more.

My question about the time needed for the "debianization process" arised
from my study of the New Maintainers' Guide and the Debian Policy Manual
when I actually only intended to build a package for the mentioned
program (it is a daemon which may execute a command written in a config
file; therefore I decided to create a new user/group to prevent the
worst. A task I didn't want a "normal" user have to bother about too
much). These manuals were so overwhelming that I was afraid that the
packaging process (if done for the "real" distro) actually may take more
time than the planing and implementation together. After what you said,
this isn't the case, though (what a relief).

> you can of course try to find a sponsor to get it in Debian.

Well, at this point a very problem arises: the program it is a daemon
which should allow parents to limit the time their children may use the
computer, divided into limits for a day, a week and a month (i.e., a
child could be allowed to use the computer longer on a single day then
1/7 of the limit for a week, allowing him to decide when to use the time
- a feature not present in "workrave"). Since my time is limited by
other means (you guessed ;-)) and I don't particularly *like* it when my
computer is shut down while I'm working it is near-to-impossible to
properly test the program for me (and I wouldn't ask someone to sponsor
a program as long as I don't know what it might do when used for its
intended purpose).

By the way, you mentioned lintian and linda, the tools I have used to
test the package as well. However, they disagreed about the question if
the comment section in a binary is necessary or not - can anyone
enlighten me here?

Kind regards,
Christian Huetter

--
  ((_/)o o(\_))  GNU Privacy Guard   ((_/)o o(\_))