Re: RFC: xindy

Hallo Frank,

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
> - According to the README file,

Which README file? /usr/share/doc/xindy-rules/README?

> xindy is distributed as
>
> ,----
>|  -- the xindy scripts and modules in source form
>|  -- the xindy kernel in binary form
>|  -- the xindy run time environment in binary form
> `----
>
>   and the sources for kernel and runtime environment are available
>   separately.

But not the docs. They came from Valhalla aka CVS.

>   Ah, in debian/rules there's a get-orig-source target.  This looks as
>   if the sources for the kernel and rte are missing?

No. This is the new source structure. All is in one package. It
should be release... I don't know when? I thought it happend in the
last half year, but it didn't.

> - The description of the xindy binary package ends with
>
> ,----
>|  Have a
>|  look at xindy's Overview that describes its most important features!
>|  .
>|   Homepage: http://xindy.sourceforge.net/
> `----
>
>   To me it is unclear what "xindy's Overview" should be.  One could
>   guess that it's something on the homepage, but there's no "Overview"
>   navigation item.

Yes. I've stolen this description from the homepage. But this last
sentens makes only sense on the homepage. I remove it.

> - why not use compatibility level 5 for a new package?

I changed it.

> - AM_MAINTAINER_MODE: You write in debian/rules
>
>   Wouldn't it be much easier to just patch the build system and disable
>   maintainer mode?

I have to rebuild the configure script which seems a heavy change to me.
I prefer upstream do so in the next release and I use this hack until then.

> Otherwise, the patches look good - have you reported them to Joachim?

Only some. Joachim or anything else on the list did not reply to my
posts. I didn't get a contact to one of the developers. In January,
Joachim wrote his is very busy. Do you know if this is still so?

Thanks for your comments.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Geld allein macht nicht glücklich, aber es ist besser in einem Taxi zu
weinen, als in der Straßenbahn.