optional building of a package

Dear all,

I am working on packaging probcons, which consists of two main programs
carrying the core functionalities, and a few other programs with
ambiguous names (convert, makegunplut, project) which will not be useful
to the vast majority of users. The upstream author advised me to drop
them from the package, which I will do.

However, I was wondering wether it would make sense to provide to the
Debian user a mean to install the extra programs from the Debian sources.
Is there a way to make the source package able to produce a
probcons-extra package, but only optionaly?

On the other hand, it could simply build a probcons-extra package by
default, with a clear description saying that it is likely that
probcons-extra will not be useful to the persons tempted to install it.

The ITP: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=365499

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy