Re: How can a non-DD fix broken packages?

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 07:49:22PM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> This email is motivated by an effective current issue, as detailed below, but
> I'm seeing myself in similar situations quite often.
>
> There is a package, which isn't officially orphaned, but the maintainer is
> neither responding to bug reports nor to mails to her @d.o address. Even though
> there is a patch provided with the bug report or I do have one myself, I'm
> seeing no way of how to fix the bug and get the package back on track.
>
> For the curious, my motivation currently stems from #328244. We are using
> brickos and gcc-h8300-hms at our site for teaching purposes, so we had to patch
> the gcc-h8300-hms package and provide it in our local repository, but this isn't
> the way Debian works, is it!?

If you want to fix the package only once, then a "non-maintainer upload"
(NMU) may be the way to go.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-nmu

If you are interested in keeping the package up-to-date regularly, then
you may want to offer co-maintainership to the current maintainer.

 -- Bart Martens <bartm@knars.be>  Tue, 30 May 2006 20:17:37 +0200