Re: [OT?] debmirror does not add index files

""=?UTF-8?Q?Eddy_Petri=C5=9For?="" <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> writes:

> On 5/24/06, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>> ""=?UTF-8?Q?Eddy_Petri=C5=9For?="" <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, but I
>> > suppose I will get some pointers (I suspect -devel to be a better
>> > place, but I might be missing something due to my lack of knowledge,
>> > thus my choice).
>> >
>> > I started creating a local mirror via debmirror sometime ago and the
>> > partial mirror is complete (unstable i386+ppc+sources), but the index
>> > files (Packages* and Sources*) are never copied automatically by
>> > debmirror from .temp.
>>
>> It only does that if there were no errors.
>
> So the conclusion that the script has silently failed _every_ time it
> has been ran?

If your rsync is broken and fails randomly that isn't too far fetched.

>> > Initially I suspected running the script at an unproper time thus
>> > overlapping my mirror's update period with the official Debian mirror
>> > I use as a source (my connection is not that fast to allow my local
>> > mirror to update quickly). I have changed the time at which the script
>> > runs but the problem persist. I also tried changing the source mirror,
>> > but the result is the same.
>> >
>> > I found that copying the files by hand from the .temp folder into the
>> > dists is a good thing to do, but I expected this to be done by
>> > debmirror itself.
>> >
>> > The update logs do not seem to show anythign relevant except that in
>> > some seldom cases there are some errors in rsync (coming from rsync.c,
>> > iirc)
>>
>> So files fail to mirror and debmirror won't put the mirror into an
>> inconsistent state.
>>
>> > Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Try using http. Or try reprepro instead. I'm considering orphaning
>> debmirror in favour of reprepro.
>
> Rsync seems IMHO a better choice for mirroring. Is reprepro able to
> mirrror existing mirrors? Via rsync?

rsync creates a huge load on the server for no reason. You are
basicaly never ever updating a file since the are not supposed to
change.

Reprepro only knows protocols that apt also knows (file, copy,
ftp, http) but it md5sum checks the downloads so there is no risk of
corruption. You can start a new mirror and point reprepro at the old
one with a file url (copy your .temp over manualy for that) and then
change the config to http to complete the mirror. reprepro will use
hardlinks if the new mirror is on the same filesystem as the old one
so this does not take space.

MfG
        Goswin