Re: [RFS] wormux - A funny fight game on 2D maps

* On Thu 2006-May-18 12:38:46 +0200, Ricardo Mones <mones@aic.uniovi.es> wrote:
>   Anyway people often like to talk with persons and not to artifacts.
> There's no shame on using your name of person when posting to the
> lists, you can put your nick or alias next to it enclosed in
> parentheses, like others do.

  I've never understood why people even care...I mean, unless you're
going to meet someone in real life, who cares what (if anything) he
says his name is?  If you really want to map identity to content
reliably, the From: header isn't exactly reliable...insist on a crypto
signature.
  I would say there's no shame in using a handle/nickname/alias in your
email, if that's what you want.  I mean, I've been an avid IRC user for
about 15 years now, and some of the people I've been chatting with for
most of that time only know me by my handle, and vice versa...it's not
like it matters, if I called them by name it would just be a different
kind of handle, really.

  If you really want to think about it, you could argue that a handle is
a more valid name than someone's actual name...after all, it's chosen by
the person himself rather than his parents.  :)

  I'd say there are more important things to worry about -- like getting
Etch out the door before 2012, for example[1] -- than whether someone
wants to post to the list as GreenLantern rather than John Smith.

[1] Sorry, couldn't resist that one.  :P

--
  John  ! Since this email isn't signed, you can't really tell it's from
 Buttery! me; I'll hopefully have my computer working normally again