Re: RFS: thailatex (orphaned package for babel-based Thai latex support)

"Theppitak Karoonboonyanan" <thep@linux.thai.net> wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> I have adopted the orphaned thailatex package in the bug:
>   http://bugs.debian.org/357871
>
> And now the brand new package has been dressed up,
> waiting for sponsoring.

I'm willing to look into it and finally sponsor it (especially since my
recent NMU might have caused this or that bug).  There are still some
minor things to do:

- debian/changelog:

  * You shouldn't close bugs with "new upstream release" as an
    explanation, unless it's a request to package the new version.
    Instead, write something like

      * New upstream release
        - now has a orig.tar.gz again (closes: #344554)
        - ... babel.sty ... (closes:  #351501)
        - updated fonts
        - new Loma font

  * the "bumped standards version to..." section usually also gets an
    explanation (like "no changes needed" or "lots of packaging changes,
    details below", or whatever).

- debian/copyright:

  Should mention where babel.sty comes from.  I assume it's a newer
  upstream version than teTeX's.  Anyway, be sure to follow the
  instructions in 3.4 of the Debian TeX Policy Draft, especially the
  second paragraph under number 2. (hint: the maintainer address for the
  Basic TeX packages is debian-tetex-maint@l.d.o, you can also reach
  texlive's maintainer there).

- debian/README.Debian:

  Please check that the information is still correct and needed (and if
  yes, fix the bad wording, it misses a "problems" or similar).

- debian/rules:

  You could switch to using dh_installtex for the fonts, this would also
  make the maintainer scripts simpler, and you'd even no longer need
  10thailatex.cfg in your debian directory.  But this is optional (and
  I'm not the dh_installtex guy among the Debian TeX Task Force, so
  don't ask me for details).

- installation:

  * thai.map should not be in TEXMFSYSCONFIG, see
  file:///usr/share/doc/tex-common/Debian-TeX-Policy.html/ch4.html#s-configurationfiles

  * it would be nice if the documentation, at least the upstream
    README. would be available to texdoc.  A symlink
    /usr/share/doc/texmf/thailatex/thailatex.txt ->
    ../../thailatex/README would do.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster