Re: What is "stripping" in binary compilations ?

Maxim Vexler <hq4ever@gmail.com> wrote:
> If so where can I learn more about stripping I've tried to search the
> Debian developers reference guide and the gcc online documentations, as
> well as google but no useful information has turned up.

	Check out the "strip" manpage. :-)

	When an application is compliled, it usually has a lot of extra
symbols in it that aren't needed to actually run (eg; name of functions and
variables, debugging information such as what file/line # a function begins
on, etc). "strip" gets rid of all that stuff that might be useful to a
developer, but won't help actually run the program.

	Cheers,
		Tyler