Re: Doing RFS on -mentors

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:52:02PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
> Hi,
> to make it as easy as possible for purspective package checkers
> if you post an RFS on the -mentors list please put all parts
> of the source package in a directory (FTP or HTTP).
>
> The reason why I write this is the wmforkplob RFS.
> Don't put your package on a PHP site where the checker has
> to download each file extra because its not possible to
> access the directory on the webserver directly and disable
> directory listing.
>
> Normally I use wget --mirror --no-parent to get the source
> files. So if you do your RFS, enable directory listing on
> your server (or in package directory), post the exact link
> of every file in the mail so we can mark them and use wget
> or upload them to http://sponsors.debian.net.
And do whatever needs to be done so a .diff.gz shows up in my browser,
rather than making me download it :)

More seriously, this brings me to a practical reason to use non native
packages (and of course pristine, where possible).  These are not just
theoretical things, but actively make things more difficult for me.

  1. You don't have to upload the entire .orig.tar.gz on every Debian
     release.  This has been mentioned occasionally, but I mention it
     again since it is probably the only really significant reason I
     have ever heard before.

  2. It allows one to easily read .diff.gz on PQDO [0], which is set
     up such as to allow transparent decompression by the browser.
     When you hear OSS or whatever advertized as "peer reviewed", this
     is why.  It allows me to tag bugs "upstream" if I can look
     briefly at the .diff.gz (or check the size, which is shown as a
     mouse "hover" title) and confirm that there aren't any relevant
     patches applied.

     It also lets me to other checks really easily, whereas I would
     otherwise have to :Nread and |gunzip in vim or whatever.

Justin