Re: debian/rules build/build-indep/build-arch

* Kevin B. McCarty [Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:50:27 -0500]:

Hi,

> So you may get a Policy bug filed for ignoring this recommendation of
> section 4.8, but from my reading you are free to tag it "wontfix".  In
> any case, I've used the solution you suggest in some of my packages.  No
> Policy bugs filed against them yet (not that this means anything).

> > Is this the correct work-around for this problem? or should I put the
> > Build-Depends-Indep packages into Build-Depends and let the autobuilders
> > build the docs, but not make them into packages (seems like this is a
> > bad thing to do, since it increases build times and seems wasteful)?

> This is of course the other possible workaround, which is technically
> more Policy-compliant.  I've used it in others of my packages.  If your
> documents' build is CPU-intensive, I think the waste of effort to
> compile them on every arch outweighs the dubious benefit of technically
> being more Policy-compliant this way.

  Another option worth mentioning would be to do nothing in build-indep
  if the necessary build-depends-indep are not installed.

    build-indep:
        if [ -x /usr/bin/foo ] && [ -x /usr/bin/bar ]; then \
          foo; \
          bar; \
        fi

  Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.