Re: Build/test environment

Hello,

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Jonathan Niehof wrote:
> have other things to do with my computers :) so I'd rather not have
> testing or unstable accidentally run roughshod over my
> filesystem--what's "the" (or "a") preferred way of setting up a test
> environment? New partition? UML? chroot with debootstrap?

chroot with (c)debootstrap is what is used by various autobuilders like
"pbuilder".

> 3) When making and testing fixes, is the best way to bump the debian
> version number, treat the whole package as if one were doing a
> maintainer upload, then build and install the package? Or is there a
> "better" procedure I'm missing? (Obviously the final product is a
> patch to send the maintainer, not a package.)

One way is to treat your patch as an NMU so you would create
version_number.1 as the new number. This way, when the maintainer
incorporates your patch and makes next(version_number) it will upgrade
easily. In case you are creating a Debian package for an upstream
version that has not so far not been packaged by the maintainer, use
something like (upstream-version)-0.1. But this may vary depending on
how the maintainer has chosen to number the package.

Hope this helps,

Kapil.