Re: Some files in /usr/share/doc/foo stay uncompressed, some are compressed

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 05:16:21AM -0200, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi Marc!
>
> On 2/13/06, Marc Haber <mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de> wrote:
>
> > Please, don't treat me as a clueless newbie. The package in question
> > is exim4-doc-html, the documentation for Debian's default MTA. The
> > fact that I maintain that package should show that I have been around
> > the block multiple times.
>
> Sorry for that. It wasn't my intention.
>
> Section 12.4 of Debian policy says that if we can provide
> documentation in HTML, we should do this. As I understand, the txt
> files are part of the html (there are links pointing to the txt, as
> you said). If we want a fully functional HTML documentation, we need
> the txt files uncompressed.
> Section 12.4 is not clear about compressing files that are needed by
> the HTMLs, but I would let it uncompressed. It's better in my opinion.
>
> Maybe include an explanation on README.Debian, saying why the files
> are not compressed, but I don't know if it's necessary.

I don't think users care about it, if it works. No note needed, it'd
only confuse.

> But in short, don't compress. It is better to end users.

I agree here, it's the road of least confusion to the users. The space
saved is probably pretty minimal anyway, considering the size of the
total doc package already.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar