Re: Re-libtooling + automake

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On re-reading this message, it seems to have a harsh tone.  Sorry about that,
> that was not my intention.  Also I don't want to start a flame-war or
> anything, but I do want either me or "the others" (whoever that includes)

Ah, no I didn't take that as harsh, and no flame-wars will come from me :)

> Apart from these points, which I hope we now all agree on (although I fear
> this isn't the case), there are some other things:

I actually agree with all of them.

> - The .diff.gz becomes readable (a big advantage IMO, I usually check the diff
>   before sending a package to my sponsor, to see if I didn't accidentily put
>   things in that don't belong there).

I am so used to skipping noise in diff.gz, I don't even care. Its sort of a
trade-off.  Either clean diff.gz, or more autobuild time.  I don't care
either way, but I *do* have packages that take LONG times to bootstrap
(because they use autotrace, etc), so I engineered my workflow to do it at
VC export time.

> - It is impossible to accidentily forget to rerun the autotools.

My own workflow makes that impossible to happen. I always build directly
from VC, and no autogenerated file survives inside my VC repositories.

So, that means I get a fresh copy *without* any autotools stuff, which
*requires* bootstrapping to work.  And debian/rules notices that, and calls
the bootstrapping script.

OTOH, people NMUing or messing with the package without reading the rules
file first might get screwed, since one is required to AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
(or to play the touch game) when not bootstrapping at build time.

> And the only bad thing about it seems to be resource consumption on the
> buildds.  Compiling will cost more time, and the build-depends need to be

AND on the local development machine, unless special measures are taken.

But yes, that's about the only downside: autotools are slow as heck to
bootstrap.

  Henrique Holschuh