Re: sponsor needed (after review)

Daniel Knabl <daniel@knabl.com> writes:
> Am Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:55:55 +0100 schrieb Daniel Knabl
> <daniel@tirolinux.net>:
>> as i use this piece of software already on my own host, i would like
>> to provide it to any other users.
> Now it seems that most of the work is finished. [0]

No, the package is in a horrible state and should NOT enter the archive
like this.

Let's look:

* Wrong version number, you'll be fucked when you want to release the
  real 2.2:
   dpkg --compare-versions "2.2rc-1" '<<' "2.2-1" || echo "crappy version number"

* Doesn't build in my pbuilder chroot

* Your Standards-Version is out-of-date. Not acceptable for a new package.

* The description sucks. A LOT. Please revise it (see the developer's
  reference for hints about format and content). The second paragraph
  looks like it should be a list, but somehow I don't understand the
  content.

* If vexim stores its configuration in a DB, it will probably don't work
  without an exim with DB support, right? So you should probably depend
  on the exim4-package providing this support...

* debian/conffiles containing files in /etc and using dh_installdeb with
  DH_COMPAT >= 3 leads to files being listed twice in the conffiles file
  in the binary package

* Please do not use german in the debconf template names.

* 'After setup of vexim has finished the man Admin, also called
   "siteadmin" uses a standard password to log in.' - WTF? Fix the
  english.

* Instead of setting an insecure default password and warning the admin
  about it, you could like ... ask for a secure password with debconf.

* Please fix the typos in the templates file.

* You use dh_installdirs, but not dh_install. Why?

* You use dh_installdirs, but create one dir with install in
  debian/rules

* You have a shitload of unneeded targets (configure, configure-stamp,
  build, cleanfiles), remove them.

* You miss the obligatory binary-arch target.

* debian/copyright is wrong. The license you mention is *not* GPL
  style.

* You say the copyright holder is "Avleen Vig
  <postmaster@silverwraith.om>", but after that, you quote from the
  upstream LICENSE file:
  | Copyright 2003 Avleen Vig and Virtual Exim Development Team

* Installing the INSTALL file in a binary package is ... not really
  needed. Because you like, have the package installed when you can read
  the INSTALL file...

* The LICENSE file is not needed, you have the debian/copyright file.

OK, now to the maintainer scripts ... They're *all* broken.

You use debconf to ask questions about the FQDN ... and then don't use
it.

config script:
 * You do a db_get vexim/fqdn - which has no default value and is never
   used in a db_input statement.

postinst:
 * You do a whole lot of stuff in your postinst/configure. Now, please
   remind yourself that configure is also called for upgrades. This
   leads to some interesting things ... like you resetting the password
   to a random one every time.
 * Using files in /tmp with a pre-defined name is not really secure. Use
   the magic mktemp script.
 * The backup of the exim4-config will be overwritten in every run,
   which is not really wise for a *backup*
 * In your templates file, you say that the password is "debian". Later,
   you use a random value. Weird!
 * postinst is sometimes called with other values (*not* only
   configure). Though these are perfectly OK, your postinst script will
   fail.

prerm, preinst:
 * Empty file, remove it.

There's also a heap of lintian and linda errors/warnings.

OK, that's what I see for the moment. Many of these problems could have
been avoided by usage of linda, lintian, pbuilder, piuparts and by
actually reading and understanding the provided documentation.

In it's current state, the package is simply unuseable and will not get
accepted to the Debian archive.

Marc
--
BOFH #279:
The static electricity routing is acting up...