Re: Problem compiling new upstream version, what to do?

That sounds like an upstream packaging bug.  There's a missing @ there; it
should be @RANLIB@.

> I found a way to fix that error by running autogen.sh in the source
> tree. Should I repackage the upstream tarball or email the upstream
> author about this problem?

Definitely don't repackage the upstream tarball.  You can choose between
reporting the bug to upstream and waiting for them to fix it, or reporting
the bug to upstream and also fixing it yourself in the Debian package,
such as by build-depending on the appropriate version of autotools and
running autogen.sh inside your debian/rules file.