Re: RFS: knmap -- Kde interface to nmap [uploaded]

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Of course I know the classical argument against this: To build a program, you
> should only need to do "./configure;make;make install".  configure is the
> platform independant script, autoconf should only be used by upstream.

Well, that's an stupid argument alright.  We are talking about *debian
packages*, not about building programs.  To build a Debian package, you
install the build dependencies, and issue an dpkg-buildpackage.

That said, people who just "./configure;make;make install" without even
reading the f***** docs first deserve whatever they get out of it, and that
includes broken crap as much as working goodness.  But if this person is
working on a Debian package, he will be inflicting the results on a lot of
people.

> The user who only downloads the tarball needs to do nothing more than
> "./configure;make;make install".
> But running
> "./autogen.sh;make;make install"

It usually goes ./autogen.sh; configure <options>; make; make install

> autoreconf has the annoying property of preferring automake 1.4 if it is
> installed.  So you need to set the environment to the proper versions for it

Automake 1.4 should never be installed in any system where most stuff uses
non-ancient-burried-and-dead automake versions :-)  build-conflicting with
it is always justified IMHO.

> to work.  I prefer directly calling the correct version of it.

autoreconf lets you explicitly specify what programs to call, see the
manpage... "The environment  variables  AUTOCONF,  AUTOHEADER,  AUTOMAKE,
ACLOCAL, AUTOPOINT, LIBTOOLIZE are honored."

  Henrique Holschuh