Re: RFS: easychem take 2

Hello *,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:34:14PM -0500, Chris Peterman wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone would be willing to sponsor easychem for me.

I might be interested in sponsoring this, please allow me some
comments on your packaging:

- Build-Depends on locales? Seems superfluous, same for docbook-xml,
  and indeed the package builds fine without them
- the pointer to the upstream homepage in the long description should
  be differently formatted, please see bug#339826
- you use a home-grown patch system to update PREFIX in the upstream
  Makefile, but this updating could easily be done via a make flag
  à la "make PREFIX=/usr" (/usr seems sensible from my reading of the
  source, please check the single occurence of PREFIX in easychem.c)
- in the light of "improved library handling needed" as mentioned in
  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/11/msg00016.html>
  you could try also passing GTK_LIBS="-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0"
  to "make", this will allow to drop the Depends on some packages that
  aren't directly needed for running easychem
- patching the upstream Makefile to add an install target that only
  installs a single file seems overkill, you might want to simply
  install that file via the install target of debian/rules
- all in all it seems no changes to upstream's Makefile are required
  and thus you could also drop your whole patching system including
  the patches/ subdir
- so some things that could be dropped in debian/rules: the complete
  configure*, patch* and unpatch* targets, the "make install" and the
  dh_installexamples call (as there are no examples to be installed)
- fr.mo is generated, but not installed by upstream Makefile, so
  manual action seems needed once more
- did you see
  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/01/msg00815.html>?
- while generating the manpage the web will be accessed for loading
  the external entity docbookx.dtd. However, if this fails the manpage
  will still be identically generated, but a warning will be printed
- several files don't show a newline at the end

You see, you seem to be jumping unnecessarily through some hoops. Your
(and your sponsor's) life could be made easier, even though your
current packaging already works... ;)

HTH,
Flo