Re: Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:13:31PM +1100, skaller wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 21:27 -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> > skaller wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 13:37 -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> I would beg of those with interest in Debian to try to
> figure out a way to streamline the process better, so it
> can accept *grass roots* contributions more easily.
> I suggest DD's and others with commitments to Debian should
> work more on Policy and Tools .. and possibly acquisition
> of technical resources (hardware etc) .. than uploading packages.
You have some interesting ideas.

> EG: My comp is on the net sometimes and sitting here idle.
> I'd be happy if Debian used it occasionally to build binaries.
> Where is the web page telling me how to advise Debian autobuilder
> how to access my comp??
That won't happen.  Debian developers, by whatever definition, is
accountable ethically if not legally for packages we distribute.
AFAIK that is one reason why we distribute free software :)

We're also responsible for not distributing malware in our packages,
and, whereas I would love to have an absolute trust in the goodwill of
mankind, I recognize that it isn't feasible to allow autobuilding on
arbitrary hosts.

Plus, it has been stated several times that autobuilder power is not
one of our biggest problems.  Redundancy is a goal, though.

--
Clear skies,
Justin