Re: Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

On 19-Dec-2005, Stefan Potyra wrote:
> Am Montag 19 Dezember 2005 16:25 schrieb Asheesh Laroia:
> > Thanks.  I agree with the Ubuntu side of this discussion that
> > dealing with non-distributed svn would be a pain
>
> I'd object to this, since one of the goals would be to make it easy
> to review packages. So basically you'd need exactly one central
> place, where the current version of a sourcepackage can be found,
> and can be reviewed. However I'm not quite sure if/how this could be
> handled with a distributed VCS like bzr.

A distributed VCS doesn't take away the *option* for a project to
declare a central repository. It just makes it a matter of policy,
rather than technological fiat.

In other words, a distributed VCS allows all parties to manage their
own repositories equally, and the project can nominate one of them the
"official" central repository, without impacting everyone's ability to
communicate changes between other repositories.

--
 \           "Killing the creator was the traditional method of patent |
  `\                     protection"  -- Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_ |