Re: Policy documentation on debconf

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:41:00 +0100, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> said:

> And I thought I could rely upon dpkg from the next upload to call
> the configure script with the same arguments as it did before, just
> as I can rely on the same for preinst, postinst etc.

        Not more than what policy already guarantees.  All you really
 need to do in config scripts is follow the protocol defined; how you
 do it is up to you.

> We're not talking about the debconf interface at all here, AFAIS.
> We're talking about the interface that dpkg provides to packages for
> there debconf questions, i.e. the way the configure script is
> called, and when.

        And you think this is not adequately covered in policy?
,----
`----

> Do you think it would be an obstacle for development if that were
> documented in the Policy, just as the same is documented for the
> "classical" maintainer scripts?  Why isn't it an obstacle for those
> other scripts?

        Cause dpkg, is like, way older than debconf? and the config
 interface is fairly simple, and is, I think, adequately described in
 policy. policy is not debconf documentation.

> Do you imply we should not rely on the time point when dpkg calls
> the configure script, or on the arguments it passes to it?  Why?

	I think you really need to go read policy again.

        manoj
--
You have a truly strong individuality.