conffiles no longer needed except ...

Hi!

I have no idea how to properly handle the following situation: My package logwatch previously had all their configuration files in /etc/logwatch/conf. They were marked as conffiles so dpkg was responsible for policy-compliant upgrading.

However, since version 7.0 logwatch has a very cool(TM) way to specify the configuration. There is a directory default.conf, containing the proposed upstream configuration, there is an optional dist.conf dir containing the debian specific modifications (both in /usr/share/logwatch/), and there is /etc/logwatch/conf, containing optional site-specific modifications. (the ./conf is there because upstream allows local scripts to be put in ./scripts ..)

Now the issue is, that all the old files in /etc/logwatch/conf are no longer needed, except if it was customized. If it was not customized, they should be removed, because they will interfere with the configuration by me and upstream, especially when some changes are needed.

The question is: How should they be removed?

- Just by putting a warning in NEWS.Debian, telling the local admin to remove them except if he modified it. (A NEWS.Debian file will be needed anyway, so users don't stumble over the new layout) - Trying to figure out in the maintainer scripts if the file has been modified, and if it hasn't been modified, delete it? - Provide the local user a script he can optionally run to remove unneeded files (of course with a hint in README.Debian and NEWS.Debian)
- another way?

The current list of files:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=logwatch&version=unstable&arch=all

thanks for you replies