Re: RFS: giac -- computer algebra system with nice GUI

On Nov 21 2005, Ken Bloom wrote:
> Marcus Better wrote:
> > Rogério Brito wrote:
> > >there's actually no Computer Algebra System available in etch,
> > Right, although sid has "axiom" (for most architectures).
>
> There are several in sid: axiom, maxima, yacas, mathomatic, gap

Thanks for the commends.

GAP, as I understand it, is not really a general Computer Algebra
System, as it deals mostly with Group Theory (I may be wrong here and
would love to be corrected).

It may, BTW, be one of the programs that I will end up using the most in
the short term (I will play a little bit with Group Theory in a few
months).

But I was looking for something more general, to replace Maple or
Mathematica for some friends that have lots of manipulations to do.

I'll risk a chroot on my system to evaluate them, though.

Thanks, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/