Re: Patching a config file

"Goswin von Brederlow" <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote in message [🔎] 87sltqxh4e.fsf@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de">news:[🔎] 87sltqxh4e.fsf@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de...
"Joe Smith" <unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com> writes:

"Justin Pryzby" <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
news:20051030173739.GA18127@andromeda...
On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 06:00:48PM +0100, Danai SAE-HAN wrote:
Package "freetype1-tools" owns a configuration file, namely
/etc/ttf2pk/ttfonts.map.
It is a conffile, because it is contained in the package:

That won't work right. On the next upgrade with a changed conffile pkg
will claim the package was modified by the user while in fact it was
modifed by the package. That is just wrong.

If you need to modify the file then don't make it a conffile. Create
it completly automatically, e.g. in /var/lib/package/, or make it a
configuartion file and use ucf.

You misunderstood. I said that it is possible that a Configuration file that is stored in the .deb could be a non-conffile. The previous poster had asserted that it must be. I had showed how it might not be the case.

Basically The package could leave the file as a plain file, and in preinst gather any user changes, let the new version destroy the old version (AFAIK dpkg won't compain because it is NOT a conffile), and then restore user changes.)

Just re-read my post thinking I was talking about a normal file rather than a confile.