Re: No official upstream sources archive, only tagged SVN directory

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 08:38:20PM +0600, Ivan Dubrov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I intend to package the Subclipse (http://subclipse.tigris.org), but
> it seems like there is no official source release archive. However,
> there is tagged directory in the Subversion repository. The problem is
> that this tagged directory contains some binary files (e.g, here
> http://subclipse.tigris.org/source/browse/subclipse/tags/subclipse/0.9.37/subclipse/core/lib/
> and here http://subclipse.tigris.org/source/browse/subclipse/tags/subclipse/0.9.37/svnClientAdapter/).
>
> So, I think, I should create .orig.tar.gz myself. The question is that
> to include into the file.
Yes, and follow the developers reference convetion of making your
.orig extract to <package>_<version>.orig/.

> First solution is to simply export the tagged directory and archive it
> and remove binary artifacts during the build process. However,
> disadvantages are obvious - larger size and odd binaries (these funny
> dll's are definetly not needed). On the other hand, packaging the
> exported directory is rather natural way to create upstream source
> package, I think.
>
> Other solution is to remove unnecessary files from directory before
> packaging it as "upstream source package".
This makes sense, since it forces compilation from source.

> The disadvantage is that upstream source generated this way is not
> very "natural",
Just use the get_orig_source target as documented in devref.  I like
to make it call a shscript ./debian/repack that does all the work.

> such archives do not correspond one-to-one to the Subversion
> repository content.
That's okay, the svn will change often anyway, right?

--
Clear skies,
Justin