Re: RFS: ksudoku -- sudoku puzzle generator/solver

Ryan...

thanks for your patience. :)

On Saturday 12 November 2005 03:16, Ryan Schultz wrote:
> On Friday 11 November 2005 02:30 pm, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > My bad. Indeed there is a ksudoku.desktop file which is installed.
> > IMHO in the wrong place though. It should be located in
> > /usr/share/applications instead. (Although I admit I don't know where
> > that's properly documented in the policy. Perhaps someone else has a
> > pointer.)
>
> I found a message[1] on debian-kde mentioning this; seems to be an XDG
> file location thing. I've moved it; however, it seems like kdevelop,
> KDE's IDE, defaults to installing there, so who knows?

I still need to learn about that. XDG doesn't ring a bell. And I couldn't
find /usr/share/applications by grep'ing through the whole /etc. I really
need to dig deeper into this.

Unfortunately your package doesn't show up in a menu here - except the ugly
default "Debian" submenu. So the menu entry is correct but the desktop
specification seems wrong. I just looked at "your" .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=ksudoku
Name[xx]=xxksudokuxx
Exec=ksudoku %i %m -caption "%c"
Icon=ksudoku
Type=Application
DocPath=ksudoku/ksudoku.html
Comment=A KDE KPart Application
Comment[ca]=Una aplicació KPart per a KDE

This looks like a template which has been edited a bit carelessly.
"A KDE KPart Application" should rather be "Sudoku Puzzle
generator/solver". And 'xx' is no language I have ever heard of.
And the reason it doesn't show up in my KDE menu is probably that the
category is not defined. Look at an example file from my 'cream' package:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Cream
Comment=Edit text files
Comment[de]=Textdateien editieren
TryExec=cream
Exec=cream %F
MimeType=text/plain
Categories=Application;Utility;TextEditor;
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/cream.xpm

This application is shown in the "Editors" K-menu.

I do not claim to be a guru regarding desktop specification files. But
since your package is mainly designed for KDE I would love it to show up
in the K-menu menu under "Games/...".

By the way... you can find the desktop specificaton at:
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec

The available categories are listed in Appendix A of:
http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/menu-spec

I vote for something like "LogicGame".

> I've found that KDE actually seems to have some magic to do this without
> being told (like with 'make install'), but I don't think GNOME will.

I've started using desktop files with KDE 3.3 and it didn't have such
magic. I needed to logout and login again. Please try removing and
installing the package and look whether the menu items appears and
disappears. Users won't like to restart their session just because they
installed a new application. There is a reason Debian's logo is not a
four-colored flag. ;)

Once the desktop file is fixed I promise I'll upload your package.

 Christoph
--
~
~