Re: essential vs. required vs. base

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 01:13:44PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Essential means that it's very difficult to remove the package and you
>> have to jump through extreme hoops to do so, and that removing it may
>> break the system.

> Yes, but how is that different from Priority: required?

Basically, there are times when you can, and want to, remove packages with

>> As a result, no libraries are essential since libraries are removed
>> when they're upgraded.

> I noticed that; but aren't all packages removed when they're upgrade?

Sorry, I was being sloppy in my wording.  The issue with libraries is that
the package name may change if the SONAME changes.  Changing the package
name of a package that's essential is incredibly painful.

> My question isn't so much "why are some required packages not
> essential?", but "Why is there a special mechanism for 'essential'?".
> Why essential just another priority, for which dpkg has special tests?

Historical reasons, probably.  The case it allows (an essential package
that's not required) doesn't sound useful.  There *is* the potential issue
that the Priority is somewhat under the control of ftp-master rather than
the package maintainer due to the override file, but I don't know that
that separation of powers is actually being used to any real purpose in
this specific case.