Re: RFS: linsmith

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 05:44:33PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> On 11/4/05, Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > *sigh*.  Thats a bug in lyx if its true.  But I can't confirm it .. I
> > accidentally ran: "lyx manual.lyx" first, causing an X11 window to
> > open over SSH.  So I closed it then rm -fr ~/.lyx/.  Then I reran with
> > lyx -e pdf manual.lyx, which appears to have worked.  Are you sure it
> > needs to be "configured"?
>
> Sometimes. It depends on the tetex-* versions you have installed and
> stuff like that.  It was, obviously, my first approach and it worked
> ok in my computer but it didn't work in the pbuilder nor in a
> different computer, and after some upgrade it even stopped working in
> my computer, where it had worked before.
So, you *might* be able to use a versioned build-depend on relevent
pacakages.

> The lyx maintainers themselves told me that it was _not_ a good idea
> to include lyx as a dependency, and that it was better to pre-generate
> the file.
Okay; that is a good justification.  I hope you'll consider filing a
bug (wishlist??) on lyx requesting functionality.  glade-2 allows such
a thing.

> BTW, you are testing this inside etch, right?
Testing, with a handful of sid packages that somehow got installed.

> Sid lacks the "lyx" command, and -as you obviously know- buildds run
> sid, not etch.
OH.  Actually I didn't know that, but probably should :)

Then you might have found the best solution..  you should probably
document it, maybe in README.Debian.  I couldn't get latex or pdflatex
to create a pdf with working embedded graphics.  And having lyx output
a latex file and build-depending on latex doesn't really buy you much.

--
Clear skies,
Justin