Re: predepends/depends order

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 03:31:42PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Impossible. What you need is for the packages you want to preconfigure
>> to Depend on isi-ldap-pre. Which means rebuilding all of them.
> OH.  I see.
>
>> Sandro Dentella <sandro@e-den.it> writes:
>>
>> > hi,
>> >
>> >   I'm preparing a package that is meant to setup a PDC with ldap and samba
>> >   mainly for schools. The target that will use it is fairly anaware of most
>> >   of the quantity of things that should be configured in such a setup and I
>> >   don't mean to explain more than necessary.
>> >
>> >   My package (isi-ldap3) depends on a veriety of other packages (pkg1,
>> >   pkg2...)  that place questions via debconf, so I thought to fill debconf
>> >   variable (of pkgN) via a package isi-ldap3-pre) that should place very
>> >   simple questions and take decision that I consider "difficoult" for my
>> >   target (super?)user.
> You mean you want THOSE packages to depend on YOUR package, not your
> package depending on them?
>
> That doesn't happen.  Low-level things must not depend on high-level
> things; it doesn't make any sense.  Otherwise, someone who wanted to
> use samba without using your package wouldn't be able to.

The point is that this "someone" decided that they want Sandro's scripts
to get an easier way to setup THOSE packages, taylored for their
specific usage case.

And the solution, as already pointed out a couple of times, is CDD.

> Note that the admin _must_ run the tool manually; it must not run
> automatically in postinst or some such.  Doing so would violate policy
> by fudging with other packages conffiles (it is allowed to modify
> other packages conffiles, if it is a specialized editor which is used
> manually only).

You're thinking too standard-Debian-specific :-)

> Note also that modifying configuration files which are not conffiles
> must be done through a well-defined interface, which would probably be
> provided by the other packages.  Such an interface is usually
> /usr/{s,}bin/update-foo.  Modifying such a file any other way is a
> policy violation.

You forgot that he wants to simply preseed debconf answers.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich