Can I package pcf fonts without gzip compression?

Hello mentors,

According Debian Policy Manual 11.8.5 section, we should convert bdf
fonts into gzipped pcf format.

My unofficial package, xfonts-wqy, is such a font covered complete CJK
Unified Ideographics. Many people use this font in Mozilla Firefox to
display CJK web page. They told me that this gzipped pcf font cause a
2 or 3 second high CPU usage period after opening a Chinese web page.
It could be even longer in a relatively slow machine. If they gunzip
this font and update the fonts.dir, high CPU usage is gone and the
feeling is much better.

Can I package this font without gzip compression?

Thanks.

--
 Best Regards,
 Carlos